Memorial Park Tour and Features

Tuscaloosa

This 5-inch, 25-caliber artillery gun was once located on the U.S.S. Tuscaloosa, which was launched on November 15, 1933 and commissioned on August 17, 1934. The Tuscaloosa was a New Orleans class heavy cruiser that was built in Camden, New Jersey. The Tuscaloosa was equipped with eight 5-inch, 25-caliber guns that were located in single turrets, four one either side of the ship for the purpose of both antiaircraft and surface fire. The gun weighed 4,720 pounds and was serve by a crew of eight men. This gun was capable of firing a 54-pound shell out to a range of 14,500 yards. The Tuscaloosa was decommissioned on February 13, 1946 and scrapped in 1959.